The Borough of Beachwood marks its centennial birthday today, March 22nd, having been cut away from Berkeley Township, in which it was established as a resort by the New York Tribune as a land/subscription promotion (announced in Nov. 1914, with construction of the earliest public buildings starting a month later and the resort itself open for new property owners on Decoration Day – now Memorial Day – 1915).
Below are a series of newspaper articles from the New Jersey Courier and the New York Tribune chronicling the move to self-governance courtesy the Beachwood Property Owners’ Association, beginning in Winter 1917 through the passing of the “Beachwood Bill” and subsequent public referendum to make the break official.
New Jersey Courier, Feb. 9th, 1917:
New York Tribune, Feb. 18th, 1917:
New Jersey Courier, Feb. 18th, 1917:
New Jersey Courier, Feb. 23rd, 1917:
New York Tribune, Mar. 6th, 1917:
New York Tribune, Mar. 12th, 1917:
New Jersey Courier, Mar. 30th, 1917:
New Jersey Courier, Apr. 13th, 1917:
Keep an eye on BeachwoodHistory.com for more Beachwood Centennial history throughout 2017.