Photo: Beachwood Pharmacy, c.1950s

After the American Store picked up and left but before it was Clancy’s, this well-known downtown storefront was simply the Beachwood Pharmacy, as a 1950s-era business map-and-advertising brochure shows, courtesy the Larry Casele Collection.

Remember this? Share your memories below or send them to BeachwoodHistory@gmail.com for inclusion in our archive.

bw-casele-chive_0118-beachwood-pharmacy-1000px

Advertisements

Ch-ch-changes at Disbrow’s Market/Clancy’s Video

20170121_131210-wm-1000px

This weekend while out and about we noticed a new tenant at the former Disbrow’s Market/Clancy’s Video building on Beachwood Boulevard, and so wanted to share a bit of its past.

Though we don’t have any photos of when it was the neighborhood video store in the late 1980s-1990s (if you do, please share!), enjoy a couple snapshots courtesy Joan Disbrow Morris from in and around 1947¬†when it was owned and operated by her father, George Disbrow, as Disbrow’s Market (it closed¬†September 17th, 1988).

disbrows-feb-1947-edit-wm-1000px

disbrows-undated-edit-wm-1000px

Morning Light at Harry P. Staton Home

Morning sunlight at the historic Staton home on December 1st, 2016 –

img_20161201_085617-staton-home-wm

Bio: Staton, Harry Parker, corner of Beachwood and Barnegat boulevards, Block D-28. All-year resident of Beachwood. Born in Brooklyn, N.Y. Manager of the sales department for the comic features of the New York Tribune. The drawings of Clare Briggs and other celebrated comic artists are syndicated by The Tribune and Mr. Staton makes periodic trips through the country to sell these attractions to various daily papers. This makes him move in a continual atmosphere of fun and laughter and accounts for his own good-natured personality. Wife, Mrs. Mabel Staton; children, Alice, Grace and Parker Staton. Member Newspaper Club and Dutch Treat Club, New York City, N.Y. Also charter member and treasurer Polyhue Yacht Club; member, with Mrs. Staton, of the Property Owners’ Assn.

Photo by BHA; information from William Mill Butler’s Beachwood Directory & Who’s Who 1924.

Beachwood Train Depot as Post Office Recalled

Shortly after posting the image of the train depot from around 1960, before it was demolished in 1962, longtime former borough police chief, John Moody, wrote in with this memory:

“Not only did the train depot serve as a train station it also housed the post office, even after the trains stopped running. I liked going there to mail post cards, when you walked inside it was like stepping back in time. It also had a distinct closed-up bungalow odor. My first memories would date back to the mid to late
1940s.”

As a result, we dove back into the file archive and pulled this picture taken in the 1940s-50s showing the opposite side of the depot, from Beachwood Boulevard, when it was also used as the post office. Photo courtesy the Joan Disbrow-Morris collection.

Note: We’ve never seen a picture of the interior, so if by chance anyone reading this has one for some reason or another, please write us at beachwoodhistoricalalliance@gmail.com.

No reprints permitted without explicit written permission by the Beachwood Historical Alliance.

No reprints permitted without explicit written permission by the Beachwood Historical Alliance.

Beachwood Train Depot, c.1960

Ever wonder where our train depot stood? This rare photograph from around 1960 shows it shortly before demolition while the apartment housing in the background, still standing today, provides a familiar location.

The depot served passengers of both the Central Railroad of New Jersey and Pennsylvania Railroad, as it was located north of where both lines crossed. Today the CNJ line is a walking and non-motorized bike path owned by Beachwood Borough and soon to become part of the Ocean County rail trail project; the Pennsylvania Railroad is today Route 9/Parkway Access Road to the Garden State Parkway entrance to the west, in South Toms River Borough.

No reprints permitted without explicit written permission by the Beachwood Historical Alliance.

No reprints permitted without explicit written permission by the Beachwood Historical Alliance.

142 North Kingsley Drive, Los Angeles – Birthplace of Beachwood, N.J.

Welcome to this first post of the new Beachwood Historical Alliance website!

What better way to begin than show the actual birthplace of our town?

Some backstory:
Bertram C. Mayo and Addison D. Nickerson, past classmates at Massachusetts Institute of Technology, were, respectively, a newspaper promotion agent and civil engineer. On the heels of newspaper subscription promotions in California and Michigan, Mayo went out to Los Angeles in January 1913, where Nickerson and his family were temporarily staying, to enlist his commitment with a new promotion on the south shore of the Toms River – our little hometown, which from opening day 1915 through mid-1917, when incorporated as an independent borough, was a section of Berkeley Township.

In a stroke of forethought, a photograph of our two town founders was taken in front of the Craftsman-style bungalow in California where Nickerson was staying, which reflected the style of the original homes later built in Beachwood by him and several other early developers.

Nkrsn Small Black_0005 WM 72

Left, A.D. Nickerson; middle, B.C. Mayo; right, Robert Nickerson.

That photograph, and others of the home – located at 142 North Kingsley Drive – sat inside Nickerson’s personal family photo albums that were recently made available to the BHA after research led to finding and then contacting his granddaughter, Eleanor, revealing much visual history of Beachwood and its designer never before publicly seen and today digitized at very high resolution and large sizes by the BHA.

Nkrsn Long Brown_0081 WM 72

Today the Los Angeles home where Beachwood was first “born” still stands, and can be easily seen by using Google Streetview.

201503 - 142 N Kingsley Drive Google Streetview WM

Read more about the Arts and Crafts style of our early homes here!