While digging through regional newspaper archives to find the history of the land before Beachwood was created through a newspaper promotion by the New York Tribune in 1914, we were surprised to find one of the attempts made was to turn the entire 2,000 acres that later became the town into a massive sports racecar track in early 1905.
(Click the image to read the full article)
In the following articles, published in the Ocean County Observer in 1997 and 2000, respectively, and courtesy the Ocean County Compendium of History, two of Beachwood’s “top cops” – John C. “Jack” Moody and John Wagner – recall life in town from the 1950s to 2000s.
(Click each image for larger view for reading)
After the American Store picked up and left but before it was Clancy’s, this well-known downtown storefront was simply the Beachwood Pharmacy, as a 1950s-era business map-and-advertising brochure shows, courtesy the Larry Casele Collection.
Remember this? Share your memories below or send them to BeachwoodHistory@gmail.com for inclusion in our archive.
As part of volunteer effort to protect and present the history of Beachwood, Beachwood History.com offers free professional digitizing services for personal collections – photos, paperwork, publications, postcards, physical objects, etc – through our flatbed scanner workstation and DSLR camera equipment. Any items lent will be returned in person or via mail (depending upon distance and preference) along with digital copies burned to DVD-ROM or uploaded to an external hard drive.
Family photos, postcards, deeds, letters, newsletters, yearbooks, newspapers, old signs, home blueprints, from throughout the 20th century welcome (the 1940s to 1990s are currently very underrepresented and so needed).
Help keep Beachwood history alive, preserved and within public awareness. Items digitized will be utilized in future online posts, digital and print publications and more along with protective watermark to prevent theft or unauthorized use.
All digitized collections will be secured to archival film with copies donated to state and federal archives in the future for security and availability in the coming decades and centuries.
Write BeachwoodHistory@gmail.com for more information or to request this free digitizing service.
As the borough’s centennial year rolls forward, we figured it’d be a good time to give ourselves a clean sweep and update our web address, email, logo and name to offer an easier-to-remember (and type) alternative: Beachwood History.com.
Look for more new updates with photos and histories of our town’s people, places and things through the spring. Thanks!
This weekend while out and about we noticed a new tenant at the former Disbrow’s Market/Clancy’s Video building on Beachwood Boulevard, and so wanted to share a bit of its past.
Though we don’t have any photos of when it was the neighborhood video store in the late 1980s-1990s (if you do, please share!), enjoy a couple snapshots courtesy Joan Disbrow Morris from in and around 1947 when it was owned and operated by her father, George Disbrow, as Disbrow’s Market (it closed September 17th, 1988).
This 1940s bathing beach tag reminds of warm, dry summer days.